Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reflections | March 2015 Roundup

After completing my research I finally made a decision to purchase a couple of Westcott Spiderlite TD6's.  These are primarily for photographing boudoir clients on some of the dark, gray Pacific Northwest days, though I will use them for any portrait session too.  They are fabulous, I'm very happy with the results I achieve with these!



March was a busy month, a lot going on, but by far the highlight of the month for me was getting to see and photograph the Aurora Borealis a dream of mine for many years.  I always thought I'd have to travel to Alaska to see it, but I was able to see it locally and it was well worth standing in the cold until 2: 30 in the morning.



I have this Himalayan salt piece with an colorful LED lamp inside sitting on my desk, which was a reminder of how much I'd hoped at some point to photograph the Northern Lights.  It cycles through some of the beautiful colors in the Aurora.


I had an assignment this month of Intentional Camera Movement from a local group I belong to and I usually dig into my archives for assignments due to time constraints for personal shooting, but this month I was able to take some images and it was fun.  I tried visualizing that my camera was a paintbrush, below are some examples.






And the last image for the month is from a recent session I did with Emma who will be entering her senior year next fall.  After a session, if you were to call me and ask what I'm doing, you will hear "just editing...  how about you?"  If they are a photographer, the conversation keeps moving, but if it's anyone outside the industry, this is usually what I hear...  "Editing?  Again?  Still?  Can't you just not be so picky?  Can't you just do less?"  (And mind you, I'm not complaining, it's just part of the job.) 
 I wanted to take a moment and show this before and after.  I think it speaks to going the extra mile when you or the client choose a location, but cannot always control all aspect of a session. (SOOC=straight out of camera)



No comments: