Thursday, May 3, 2007

Black-capped Chickadee update...

Update to my April 16th post...

I'm sorry to report that the black-capped Chickadee has abandoned her nest and four eggs. I was able to established her pattern as to when she would roost and when she would leave for a couple hours and this is when I took my daily photo of the nest. I always made sure to do this after she'd rolled her eggs and only when she took her afternoon leave.

If these eggs would have been "healthy" and progressing as they should, they would have hatched by now and within thirteen days the chicks would have been taking their fledgling flight.

We took the opportunity to photograph the nest and eggs tonight to document the size. The photos just didn't do justice revealing the size of the nest or eggs with any scale. The eggs were 1/8th of a teaspoon. I only had a 1/4 teaspoon on hand and you can see that they are smaller than that (see photos below.) The nest was 2" x 2". I can also confirm that these eggs never materialized to anything more than yolks.

Both Paul and I are bummed, but it's all part of nature. Maybe next year we'll get some photos of live chicks...
























No comments: